Free iOS App: Nico & Nor Plants Journal
Capture the amazing journey of seeds sprouting in this digital Plants Journal! Make daily observations of plants and record their growth through photos and measurements! Explore graphs and albums to see how the plants changed over time. Through hands-on care and digital documentation, the Plants Journal will inspire children to observe and appreciate the incredible transformation of growing plants.
• Documents the growth of multiple plants over an endless number of days
• Shows daily plant growth through photos and measurements
• Provides photo albums and graphs to review how the plants changed over time
• Aligns with research-based early science learning trajectories
• No in-app purchases
• No advertising
This app is designed to help children strengthen their science investigation skills and explore the concepts of growth and change as they:
• Identify some of the things a plant needs to grow: water, light, and time.
• Observe and describe characteristics of seeds and plants.
• Identify and describe parts of a sprouting seed and growing plant.
• Record observations and data about growing plants.
• Begin to pose questions and make predictions about how a seed or plant may change over time.
The Plants Journal and the entire Plants curriculum supplement from Early Science with Nico & Nor™ was rigorously researched and developed specifically for preschool classroom use. The Plants unit contains two apps: Wonder Farm and the Plants Journal. In Wonder Farm, children plant digital seeds and help them grow.
Each Early Science with Nico & Nor curriculum supplement combines traditional classroom activities with digital learning to promote young children’s engagement with age-appropriate science practices and concepts during circle time, learning centers, read-aloud book sessions, snack time, and outdoor play!
About First 8 Studios at WGBH
WGBH Educational Foundation has pioneered children’s educational media for decades. First 8 Studios at WGBH is dedicated to carrying this pioneering spirit into the digital, mobile world. First 8 Studios contributes to research by creating mobile experiences to support the healthy growth of children from birth through age 8. At the heart of this work is a commitment to ongoing collaborations with teachers, parents, pediatricians, education researchers, and children to give them a voice in the digital media development process. You’ll find evidence of the big hearts and little fingerprints of our partners throughout each Nico & Nor experience.
Early Science with Nico & Nor™ and the characters and related indicia are trademarks of First 8 Studios @WGBH. ™/© 2016 WGBH Educational Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
This Early Science with Nico & Nor™ app was produced by WGBH Digital in Boston.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1316550. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NSF.