Free iOS App Today: Montessori Bead Skip Counting
Montessori Bead Skip Counting is an innovative new incarnation of a classic "Montessori" math material, the “short chains” and “long chains”. It uses the Montessori colored bead chains to show the relationship of number multiples in a chain/number line format.
This app teaches skip counting with Montessori beads as a precursor to multiplication tables/math facts in a visual form, leading to deeper understanding. Great for Montessori and more traditional classrooms — extra practice at home and for homeschoolers. Great for the summer!
Students who already have an understanding of addition can practice skip counting, as repeated addition, by building colorful number chains and labeling them with number tickets.
As students progress in their learning, they can enter numbers themselves for the multiples.
This app was created collaboratively by incorporating ideas from Montessori teachers, parents, IT professionals, and perhaps most importantly, Montessori and more traditionally schooled students themselves.
Students will be able to:
– Build on-screen bead chains for 1’s to 10’s
– Learn and practice skip counting for 1’s to 10’s
– Move labels for the skip counting beads to the correct place on the chain
– Type in the number themselves when they have learned the skip counting
– Use the “show me” function to see how the app works, or to review chains they want to see presented
– Practice and test their multiplication math fact skills
Using the iPad, the beads are directly proportional (without the extra wire ends of some physical materials) and can duplicate number line activities to show the relationship for multiplication tables.
MontessoriTech is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 4-7
Categories: Math, Addition, Multiplication