Free iOS App Today: Radar HD – NOAA Hi-Def radar, storm tracker and severe weather alert map
Radar HD is a modern application for iPhone and iPad that displays animated high-resolution weather radar, hurricane forecasts, tracks and projected paths, tropical storm information, severe weather alerts and satellite cloud cover images around your current location, allowing you to quickly see what weather is coming your way.
Radar map shows areas of current precipitation. A weather radar is used to locate precipitation, calculate its motion, estimate its type (rain, snow, hail, etc.), and forecast its future position and intensity. Precipitation type is indicated by the color. Green color indicates lesser precipitation while the yellow color code indicates intense precipitations. The color code red is indicative of the most intense precipitations. Blue color indicates snow.
Using the data from Storm Prediction Center and Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System (SPC & GDAC) Radar HD provides information about tropical storms and hurricanes for locations worldwide, areas affected by storms and severe weather, coordinates and wind speed, storm tracks & path projections.
Satellite images provide an excellent view on the clouds in the sky and an indication of the weather over the North American continent, Europe, Japan, Australia and Indonesia.
Satellite images come from satellites which remain above a fixed point on the Earth (i.e. they are “geostationary”). Lighter areas of cloud show where the cloud tops are cooler and therefore where weather features like fronts and shower clouds are.
The app also allows you to check the weather on your favorite places on maps. Interactive map includes live international weather conditions, local weather and time, ten-day forecasts and sunrise/sunset times for multiple places. You can add placemarks on the map to represent your favorite places or the places you’d like to visit. At a glance you can see the time and weather for all of your favorites.
* Storm / hurricane / typhoon tracker and projected paths (International and Global)
* All severe weather alerts on interactive map, 126 weather alert types
* High resolution animated radar. Stunning and sharp images.
* 4-km high resolution cloudy-sky images.
* Current weather directly on the map. 130,000 locations worldwide.
* Current weather details and ten-day forecast in pop-up window.
* three different layers to get the weather: ground stations, radar and satellite.
* zoom in and out, drag and scroll
* play, pause animations at any zoom level
* displays current position on the map
* saves and restores your last position
* adjustable radar image quality for Wi-Fi and cellular connections
* faster even when on 3G or EDGE networks
* multiple map styles – terrain, satellite or standard
* Full 64-bit app
* Requires any iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iOS 5.1.1 and higher
* Retina HD display support
* Snow/Ice/Rain Radar
* NEXRAD, N0R, base reflectivity, filtered data
* Satellite data comes from GOES 13, GOES 15
* Radar images delayed 4-8 minutes due to nature of data transmission
* Satellite images delayed up to 40 minutes